Good fences make good neighbors |每日一读

原文:

Good fences make good neighbors

好的篱笆成就好的邻居

Mending Wall(修补墙)

全文:

Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,

有一样东西它不喜欢墙,

That sends the frozen ground-swell under it,

冻胀了墙下的基础土壤,

And spills the upper boulders in the sun;

太阳一晒,墙上石块跌落在两旁;

And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.

墙体开裂,双人并肩而过像穿堂。

The work of hunters is another thing:

猎人的行为则是另一番景象:

I have come after them and made repair

我要紧随其后修补不停的忙,

Where they have left not one stone on a stone,

他们拆掉石块却不放回原位上,

But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,

而是把兔子赶出让它们难躲藏,

To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,

惹得猎狗叫汪汪。我所说的裂缝

No one has seen them made or heard them made,

没有谁见过其开裂听过其声响,

But at spring mending-time we find them there.

但到春天来修补,眼前已是百孔千疮。

I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;

我通知了山那边的邻居街坊,

And on a day we meet to walk the line

约好了一天沿着墙巡查一趟,

And set the wall between us once again.

重新垒起我们之间的这堵墙。

We keep the wall between us as we go.

我们沿着墙各自走在各一方,

To each the boulders that have fallen to each.

将各自一侧的石块收拾妥当。

And some are loaves and some so nearly balls

有些石块成块状,有些近乎于球状,

We have to use a spell to make them balance:

我们不得不口念咒语确保其稳当:

‘Stay where you are until our backs are turned!’

“请呆在那儿不要晃,等我们折回来查访!”

We wear our fingers rough with handling them.

我们搬弄石块,手指被磨得粗糙无光。

Oh, just another kind of out-door game,

啊,这种户外游戏只不过别于它样,

One on a side. It comes to little more:

玩家各站各一方。这让我若有所想:

There where it is we do not need the wall:

我们在这里并不需要修建这堵墙:

He is all pine and I am apple orchard.

那边种松木这边种苹果树隔墙相望。

My apple trees will never get across

我的苹果树永远不会越过这一屏障:

And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.

跑到他松树下去把松果尝,我对他讲。

He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’

他只好说,“好篱笆会促成好街坊。”

Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder

春天让我好心伤,我想知道

If I could put a notion in his head:

我是否能让他这样去思量:

‘Why do they make good neighbors? Isn’t it

好篱笆何以能促成好街坊?难道说

Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.

这是养牛的地方?但这纯粹是说谎。

Before I built a wall I’d ask to know

以前修建这堵墙,我就该好好想一想

What I was walling in or walling out,

我要把什么东西来设防,

And to whom I was like to give offense.

我是否有冒犯谁的地方。

Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,

有样东西它的确不喜欢墙,

That wants it down.’ I could say ‘Elves’ to him,

就像妖鬼想让它倒塌一样,我这样讲。

But it’s not elves exactly, and I’d rather

但准确地说这不是妖鬼,我宁愿

He said it for himself. I see him there

他自己说出来是啥名堂。我见他

Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top

用双手将石块上端牢牢抓住不放,

In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.

就像石器时代武装的野蛮人一样。

He moves in darkness as it seems to me,

我认为他似乎已坠入黑暗感到迷茫,

Not of woods only and the shade of trees.

这黑暗不只是来自树林和树的影像。

He will not go behind his father’s saying,

他不去琢磨父辈曾如何对他讲,

And he likes having thought of it so well

倒是认为父辈所说的话非常棒,

He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’

他接着又说,“好的篱笆成就好的邻居。”

来自enotes的赏析:

点击查看原网址

In “Mending Wall,” Frost writes a contemplative poem based on the activity of going out with his neighbor each spring to mend the stone wall that divides their property.  Frost himself doesn’t really like the wall–he feels it is unnecessary, unfriendly, outdated, and a bit rude to have.  However, his neighbor, who seems to be steeped in tradition, says, “Good fences make good neighbors.”  This is an old saying that seems to imply that you can be better neighbors if there are boundaries; that way, you don’t end up fighting over what property is whose.  It helps create lines, which eliminates potential conflict.  So, for example, if there is a tree that is kind-of in-between two houses, who has to rake the leaves every fall?  Without a fence, neighbors might argue about this issue, or just silently seethe with rage as the leaves build up and the neighbor doesn’t rake them.  With a fence, the tree definitely belongs to a certain person; they are responsible, and the potential problem is solved.  So, that is what the quote means.  Frost, however, disagrees.  He gives several reasons for this in his poem, but the main reason is that their properties don’t really need them.  He has apple trees, the neighbor has “all pine,” and, as Frost says,  “My apple trees will never get across and eat all the cones under his pines.”  Trees don’t need to be fenced in or out–they don’t steal or interfere with anyone, like someone’s dog would, if unchained or fenced.  He also mentions that sometimes fences are put up to keep the cows in, but, “here there are no cows.”  They don’t have animals to keep in or out, and no property disputes.  He also asserts that there is something ominous and unkind in a wall–he says that a wall implies you are keeping something dangerous away, or dangerous in, and that’s not very pleasant.  In the end, he even compares his wall-loving neighbor to “an old stone-savage,” symbolically indicating that keeping walls is a rather savage ritual that is only needed in more dangerous times.  I hope that those thoughts helped; good luck!

在“修补墙”中,弗罗斯特根据每年春天与邻居一起出去修补分隔他们财产的石墙的活动写了一首沉思的诗。弗罗斯特自己并不喜欢这面墙 – 他觉得这是不必要的,不友好的,过时的,有点粗鲁。然而,他的邻居似乎沉浸在传统中,他说,“好的围栏会成为好邻居。”这是一句老话,似乎暗示如果有边界,你可以成为更好的邻居;那样一来,你最终不会争夺什么财产是谁的。它有助于创建线条,消除潜在的冲突。那么,例如,如果有一棵树在两座房子之间,那么每年秋天都要耙树叶?如果没有篱笆,邻居可能会争论这个问题,或者只是随着叶子积聚并且邻居不会耙他们而默默地发怒。有了围栏,这棵树肯定属于某个人;他们负责,潜在的问题得到解决。所以,这就是报价的含义。然而,弗罗斯特不同意。他在他的诗中给出了几个理由,但主要原因是他们的属性并不真正需要它们。他有苹果树,邻居有“松树”,正如弗罗斯特所说,“我的苹果树永远不会穿过他的松树下吃掉所有的锥体。”树木不需要被围起来或围起来 – 它们不会偷走或干扰任何人,就像有人的狗一样,如果没有链子或围栏。他还提到,有时会举起围栏以保持奶牛进入,但是,“这里没有奶牛。”他们没有动物可以进出,也没有财产纠纷。他还断言,墙上有一些不祥和不友善的东西 – 他说墙是暗示你保持危险的东西,或危险的东西,这不是很愉快。最后,他甚至将他爱墙的邻居与“一个古老的石头野人”进行了比较,象征性地表明,保持墙壁是一种相当野蛮的仪式,只有在更危险的时候才需要。我希望这些想法有所帮助;祝好运!

Good fences make good neighbors |每日一读》有15个想法

  1. You’re so awesome! I do not suppose I’ve truly read a single thing like that before.

    So wonderful to discover somebody with original thoughts on this topic.

    Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This web site
    is something that’s needed on the web, someone with some originality!

  2. Right here is the perfect blog for anybody who really
    wants to understand this topic. You know a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I
    personally will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a
    new spin on a subject that has been discussed for a long time.
    Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

  3. Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you
    using for this website? I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.

    I would be great if you could point me in the direction of
    a good platform.

  4. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from
    somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks a lot

  5. Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it
    was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I
    had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the
    whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for beginner blog
    writers? I’d really appreciate it.

  6. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks

  7. I do trust all the ideas you’ve introduced for your
    post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very brief for beginners. May
    just you please lengthen them a bit from next time?
    Thank you for the post.

  8. Hello! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d
    figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog
    article or vice-versa? My blog covers a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit
    from each other. If you are interested feel free to send
    me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Superb blog by the way!

发表评论

电子邮件地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

答案 : *
20 − 3 =